Job Title: Executive Director
Duty Station: AMA Head Office – Kabul plus travel to provinces
Reports to: AMA Board of Directors
Salary: According to the NTA salary scale
Organization Name: Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA)
Employment Type: Permanent
Contract Duration: One year with three months probationary – possibility of extension
Post Date: 13 May 2019
Expiration Date: 13 June 2019
About Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA):
Afghanistan Microfinance Association (AMA) is the national network of Development Finance Institutions (DFI) in Afghanistan. It was established in 2005 by the Microfinance Investment Support Facility for Afghanistan (MISFA), microfinance practitioners and other stakeholders. AMA was registered with the Ministry of Justice of Afghanistan in 2007.
AMA branded itself as an association that promotes the broader development finance sector in Afghanistan. AMA supports its members with a strong portfolio of demand-driven services under its four main functions; Lobbying & Advocacy, Knowledge Management, Coordination & Networking.
The AMA members provide financial services to more than 390,000 clients through portfolio outstanding of AFN 10.6 billion (USD 142 million) in 18 out of 34 provinces.
AMA has been one of the founding members of the South Asian Micro-entrepreneur Network (SAMN) since 2009. AMA was elected as the Chairman of SAMN in March 2018.In 2012, AMA also became a member of the Small Enterprise Education and Promotion (SEEP) Network based in the USA.
Reporting to the board of directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the AMA, including strategic management, program planning and implementation, resource mobilization, member relations, lobby, advocacy, financial control and staff management.
- Network Development: Supervises membership expansion and member relations for microfinance providers and keeps a balance on providing services to member organizations while keeping focus on AMA mission and vision.
- Program: Designs and supervises AMA’s core functions and ensures that AMA continues to add value to the industry.
- Advocacy and Networking: Advocates on behalf of the microfinance industry on any subject matters and leads the coordination and networking of the industry. Develops and maintains relationships with local government bodies, networks and partners and other associations to enhance the AMA’s voice in policy discussion and raise the public awareness. Interacts with the Board and other stakeholders to advance the microfinance agenda and represent AMA at national and international forums.
- Strategy: Makes sure that the existent AMA strategic plan is implemented and all mentioned milestones are achieved with quality and within the time frame stipulated in the strategic plan. Suggests any changes and revisions to the strategic plan to the board of directors and process its approvals. Develops new strategic plan and any other strategies in close coordination with the board of directors, donors and any other stakeholders making sure that these are in accordance to the needs of the AMA members and the microfinance industry in general.
- Management: Develops annual program plans and budgets based on the strategy and implements them with the AMA staff and relevant working groups / committees. Provides oversight to make sure that the plans are implemented within the time frame and reports to board of directors on the progress. Ensure that staff performance is annually monitored and proper facilities are provided for their career growth.
- Operations: Prepares and administers AMA’s core budgets, supervises AMA’s administrative staff, strategic partners and consultants, facilitates the functions of AMA working groups and board, provides editorial control to AMA publications and oversee planning for AMA annual meetings and discussion forums. Reviews AMA’s manuals, policies, procedures and bylaws, identifies the changes and suggests the changes to the board of directors for approvals.
- Board of Directors: Participate in the AMA’s board meetings as a non-voting director and secretary of the board, reports to the Board on all matters pertaining to AMA’s program, organizational and functional status. Implements the decisions taken by the board and reports to the board of directors on the status of the implementation of the decisions.
- Fundraising: Manages relations and compliance, builds new partnerships and supervises funding proposals for the organization. Develop annual proposals and budgets, present them to the board of directors for their review and comments, processes its approval and submit them to MISFA. Follow up with MISFA and provide further justifications if required and update the board on the progress.
The ideal candidate will possess the followings:
A masters-level qualification in the areas of, business administration, international development, economics, or a related field.
- At least ten years of practical work experience, with a proven track record of success in key roles in any of the following areas: microfinance, banking, government service or non-governmental organizations.
- Experience of overseeing the various operational elements of the organization, which includes experience of budgeting and procurement. Experience of working in a network/association is an advantage.
- Demonstrable experience and effectiveness in cooperating with the Afghan Government and other relevant stakeholders.
- Experience and knowledge of World Bank procurement procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
- A self-motivated individual with a passion for improving the microfinance sector in Afghanistan.
- Demonstrable ability to maintain the focus of the organization on achieving key strategic goals.
- Ability to recognize new opportunities and trends, to help AMA achieve its objectives.
- The ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing contexts in the microfinance industry in Afghanistan.
- Strong leadership, strategic planning and administrative skills.
Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Fluency in English, Dari/Pashto is required.
Energetic, active, social with very good networking skills. Ability to work in multicultural environment and travel inside and outside of Afghanistan.
To apply: please send your CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org include the Job Title in the subject line of your email. The cover letter should outline your interest in working for AMA, how your experience, knowledge and skills demonstrate your suitability for the position. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.